Google+ The Synchronetic ET, LLC Blog, brought to you by Etape Partners, LLC.: Data Visualization

Friday, September 4, 2009

Data Visualization

How do we use immersive, multisensory technology to create interactive representations of information that go beyond adding another dimension to a well established format of information display?
I agree that immersive 3D helps with visualization, but I believe that we have not yet cracked the code on how best to use VR to provide the human brain with the most efficient exposure to data/problem solving.

and to continue my thought, I see VR misused in many different ways: creating a conference room in which you display a powerpoint presentation, creating a library filled with books, allowing web searches that float the pages returns in space, etc. there are many examples of how the multi-sensory dimensionality possibilities of VR are not used,in favor of simply extending a well establish model(eg, adding a 3rd dimension to a chart).much of what we have established in 2D modeling was done so because there were no other variables to leverage(not including time).What I am puzzled by is what I refer to as the “can’t find my shoes dilemma”. When I am at home, and I cannot find my shoes, I do not visualize a spreadsheet with a line item for all the possible locations of my shoes. What I do, is visualize my entire house, with subconcsious prioritization of the the most likely locations. and look at that – my shoes are sitting right by the door where I left them. in this case, adding a 3rd dimension to a spreadsheet will not help me much. BUT, providing a 3D representation of the “universe” of possible outcomes, with some baked in prioritization, this is how my brain works, and this is possible in VR.

No comments:

Post a Comment