Google+ The Synchronetic ET, LLC Blog, brought to you by Etape Partners, LLC.: Generation gap?

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Generation gap?

I had a chance yesterday to speak professionally with someone between the ages of 21-24. The topic of social networking came up, and I decided to ask her about what tools she used/did not use and why. very interesting feedback. It was just one person, but I think it is safe to say that there is not one definition of how people in this age bracket use digital comms.

Here is her take on some things:

Facebook: I don't use it. I think that people disclose too many personal details about their lives. Why would you put it all out there for everyone to see?

Twitter: What is the point? does anyone really care that I: just ate a sandwich, just went to the store, just rode my bike?

LinkedIn: I use this tool because it is helpful in networking.

Even more interesting I think was that she just graduated from college, and:
1. Never used books in the library. she feels that the books are still there so that it still looks like a "library"
2. people in the library are there to use the computers
3. all research is done online now

I felt like someone's grandfather talking about how the "young folks" these days have this new device called a "cell phone", and I am really not that old.

IMHO, cellphone, web, email, and txt are now all taken for granted and part of everyday life for this age bracket. However, we cannot/should not assume that other methods of communication are universally accepted or otherwise ubiquitous.

No comments:

Post a Comment